There are several steps in the procedure for bone marrow transplant. These steps include:
- Preparation: The patients at this stage undergo comprehensive evaluation for overall health status.
- Conditioning: The patients undergo radiation therapy or chemotherapy to kill the cancerous cells in the bone marrow. The technique also reduces the risk of bone marrow rejection.
- Stem cell harvest: At this stage, the stem cells are collected from the donor or the patients themselves.
- Infusion: The stem cells are infused into the patients. Infusion is done about 2-3 days after conditioning.
- Monitoring: The patients undergo routine monitoring to detect the growth of new bone marrow cells or the rejection of transplanted bone marrow.