Treatment Option for Ovarian Cancer
Treatment options may consist of surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or any combination of these treatments.
- Surgery may be an option where the surgeon may remove one or both ovaries.
- Chemotherapy is a cancer treatment that uses anti-cancer drugs to kill or stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy is a cancer treatment that uses high-energy radiation beams to eliminate cancer cells or stop them from growing.Radiation therapy consists of external beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy or internal radiation therapy.
- External beam is a treatment option that uses localized high energy radiation beams to eliminate cancer cells and keep them from growing.
- Brachytherapy uses a radioactive substance, usually in the form of seeds which are placed directly into or near the cancer which helps to shrink the tumor.