Treatment options may consist of surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or any combination of these treatments.
- Chemotherapy uses anti-cancer drugs to kill or stop the growth of cancer cells
- In surgery, a surgeon may remove the tumor in the mouth or throat and any neighbouring tissues or lymph nodes
- Radiation uses high-energy radiation beams to eliminate cancer cells or stop them from growing
- Radiation therapy consists of external beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy or internal radiation therapy.
- External beam uses localized high energy radiation beams to eliminate cancer cells and keep them from growing
- Brachytherapy uses a radioactive substance, usually in the form of seeds which are placed directly into or near the cancer which helps to shrink the tumor